He took his position on creation where it was not a popular position to take, in the biology department of a state university.
Gerald Van Dyke – work and creation related endeavors
For 40+ years Gerald Van Dyke has spoken about creation, in churches and other venues.
For 30+ years he has been an active member of the Triangle Association for the Science of Creation (TASC). He is a co-founder and charter member, and has served as a member and chairman of its Board of Directors.
For 25 years he served as faculty adviser to Campus Crusade for Christ at North Carolina State University.
For 38 years he taught at NCSU. He won every teaching award that institution made. The school’s alumni recognied him as the Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor of Botany.
He helped found North Carolinians for Home Education (NCHE), whose “offices” during the early years were actually located at his home.
Brief curriculum vitae for Gerald Van Dyke
From the Triangle Association for the Science of Creation:
History and Family
- Born: February 4, 1941 – Effingham, Illinois
- Family: 5 daughters, 19 Grandchildren
- B. S. in Education, Eastern Illinois University 1963 – Botany
- M.S. & Ph.D., University of Illinois 1966 & 1968 – Plant Pathology
- 1968-2006: Professor of Botany & Plant Pathology, Teaching and Research at NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY
- The Fungi and Biological Control of Weeds
- Intro. Biology
- Plant Life
- Kingdom of Fungi
- Biocontrol of Weeds
- Fungal Ultrastructure & Host-parasite Interactions
Memberships in Professional Societies
- American Phytopathological Society
- North Carolina Academy of Science
- Creation Research Society
- Society of Sigma Xi
- Mycological Society of America
- Weed Science Soc. of NC
Teaching and Advising Awards & Grants
- University Outstanding Teacher 1994-1995 (NCSU)
- Member of Academy of Outstanding Teachers
- Teaching Fellow National Association of College of Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA)
- Outstanding Faculty Adviser (NCSU, College of Ag. & Life Sciences) 1995-96
- Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor, NCSU 1995
- Board of Governors’ Award for Excellence in Teaching 2005-2006 (Highest teaching award given in the UNC University System)
University and Department of Botany Activities
- Graduate Director (1990-97)
- Teaching Coordinator
- Undergraduate Advisor
- scheduling officer
- various committees related to research and teaching (locally and nationally)
- Over 50 articles and abstracts including a book chapter
- Many presentations at scientific meetings including, VII International Symposium on Biological Control of Weeds (Rome, Italy, 1988)
- Numerous Bible and Creation studies, seminars, conferences, readings, etc.
- Secretary/Treasurer Board of Ladakh Development Foundation, Mission program to India
- Faculty Adviser to Campus Crusade for Christ at NCSU for 25 years
- Past Chairman (presently Board Member) of Triangle Association for Science of Creation (TASC)
- Active creation speaker in churches, civic groups, public & private schools, colleges, universities, for past 40+ years
- Volunteering at
- Active Wood Carver
RETURN TO LIST OF LIVING INDUCTEES